Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Strong & Lovable...Memory Box

So here it is, I actually love the final product! I used white mat board for the exterior and chose to use spikes to show the rigidity of Nanny, and then in the inside I used a soft, red material as well as polyester fill to make the inside soft. I like the red because it shows love and contrasts the white nicely. I also used one spike to create a latch for the box itself so that, when closed you see only the white spike exterior and then when you open the box (like Nanny's personality) you see the loving, nurturing, giving side. I like how this turned out because I feel it shows who she is in an abstract way. If I had the chance to do it over I would focus more on my craftsmanship but other than that I'm happy!



This is my 2nd iteration and really tried to show the stubborn/strong willed/strict side as well as the lovable side..so here it is! I used white mat board for the s/s/s if you will, and the other side is made of soft material and polyester filling, so its soft to the touch. I liked this one okay, but wasn't very happy with the shape itself, so I decided to do something a little more abstract which brings me to ....ta da..my final project....
So the next thing I did was came up with words that described my grandma. She was a great lady, and there were so many things that I wanted to say about her but I had to narrow it down...so I chose to show the stubborn, strong willed, strict side of her, as well as the lovable, gentle, nurturing side that I love and remember so well. Nanny was a great friend, grandma, mother etc. but was a little rough around the edges. If she didn't know you she might come off a little unfriendly, but once you got to know her she would show her soft side. That leads me to my 2nd iteration.


Assignment: Create a container that holds a memory..hmm...hold a memory? How the hell do you do that? Well I narrowed down my memory to my grandma and went from there. The following is my parti and my first iteration. At first I brainstormed and came up with all the things that remind me of her....coffee, football, shopping are just a few...and she a was a huge card player. So my first idea was to create a card box that held cards , each card having something that reminded me of her. I also had the idea to create a card box and inside have pieces that remind me of her. After the first iterations I felt like I was showing what she liked, but not really showing who Nanny was. The next step, who was Nanny anyway?


No comments: